Summer is almost here in South Africa and it’s getting hotter by the day. It’s time to refresh the interior decor, pack away the cosy, thick blankets and fluffy cushions, and make way for fresh, summery vibes.
Create the perfect summer feeling in your home with a tropical theme – delicious monsters, watermelons
Pineapples began gaining favour in home decor and prints in 2017 and it doesn’t seem to be letting up this year. Funky, fresh pineapples can still be seen everywhere from baby clothes to H&M’s home decor range.
Recreate the look with your crochet skills and make your own pineapple cushions for your living room.
This beautiful pillow is easier to make than it looks.
Create the cushion with these steps
You will need:
- Double-knit cotton yarn in white, natural or off-white (Moya or Nurturing Fibres)
- 4 mm or 5 mm crochet hook (depending on your yarn)
- Cushion inner or fibre-fill stuffing
- Tapestry needle
- Chain any number of stitches to create the desired width for your cushion. Measure it against other cushions or against the chair it’s destined for to get the right length.
- Make 3 turning chains, double crochet (US terms) in next stitch, DC each stitch until end of the row.
- Repeat row 2 until you’ve reached double the desired height. Finish off.
- Sew two sides closed. Stuff. Sew last side closed. You can put a row of stitches in the fourth side if you want all the sides to look uniform.
Add your pineapple applique
Get a free pattern for a pineapple applique here. Make four or as many as you desire for your pillow.
Sew your pineapple appliques to the pillow with a whipstitch. It’s a good idea to space them all out first and pin them down to ensure that you are happy with the placement.
These pineapples are not hard to create – advanced beginners should easily be able to make these. Beginners might find it challenging, but doable.
And voila! Your pineapple pillow is done! Now all you need is a chair, a plant and a great pot to put it in.
Complete the look
To complete the look, head over to Mr Price Home to buy a couple of Retro Cruz Dining Chairs for R799 each.
The Retro Cruz dining chair has a
Now you just need a great pot for your plant. The Nesta tiered planter from Superbalist can fit two plants, so it saves space while freshening up your home.
Now that you’ve got all your items, all you need to do is to put your pineapple pillow on your new Retro Cruz chair, place the tiered planter close by and add the plants.
Enjoy the summery vibes! Just don’t blame us if you start craving pineapples all the time.
Have you made a pineapple themed amigurumi or applique before? I’d love to see your creations – you can add your comments in the box below or post your pictures on our Facebook group: Amigurumi South Africa.